Monday, July 16, 2012

Cobwebs in my brain

Hello lovely readers,

I returned from our yearly trek to the San Diego International Comic Convention as utterly geekified, exhausted, and excited as ever.  I have lots to tell you about it, but I'll try to break it up into smaller, more easily digestible posts.

This post is just getting some of the random "other stuff" out of my brain and onto the page.

I realized today that the month of July is half way through, which means summer is almost gone.  I know, I live in Texas and our summer lasts well into October, but we're on the downhill slope.  It'll start getting really hot in August, but by the time my 28th birthday rolls around we'll be looking at college football season (Riff Ram!  Here we come Big 12!) and before you know it summer is over.  Plus everyone's summer vacation plans are starting, slowly but surely, come to an end - which means I'll have a good couple of months to really see my friends and such before the holiday season picks up and drags us into other obligations.

The trip was also a stark reminder of how much things have changed in my life since last year - for both better and worse.  Financially the burden of the trip wasn't so harsh due to some good luck we've had with Brent's career and such, but it's tempered with the reminder of trinkets we brought home for friends who no longer wish to speak to us.  It is also bittersweet to see things that I know old friends (like from high school and early college) would love, but we've drifted apart so much that I'm not even sure they would still enjoy what used to bring us laughter.

That's probably the thing I hate most about my oddly reliable memory - I can remember the most random thing about someone from almost 10 years ago.  On the other hand, I have a hard time remembering what I did yesterday or if I remembered to shampoo my hair before I put in my conditioner (true story - happens more often than I'd like to admit).

I just wish, sometimes, my long term memory was as unreliable as my short term.  I'd like to forget the ones who've moved on in life, to a different place or whatever.  It's not that I wish any ill will, I just want to ease this feeling of nostalgia.

In other, less depressing, news, on Wednesday, I have my first meeting of a new book club I've joined recently.  I haven't read the book yet but I don't imagine it's any harder than college, right?  I should be able to pull it off the night before or the morning of, LOL.

Ok, off to pick up the dogs and head home to do some neverending laundry.

No comments:

Post a Comment